Friday, August 7, 2026

MY LIFE AT C HOOSTEL ROOOM 327





I used to live in B HOSTEL ROOM 108 .Life in this room was difficult as it was in the ground floor with disturbance from people walking in the corridor. The sad incident in this room was the strike of November 1983. I must have been in this room till AUGUST 1984. Television comes to hostels in JUNE 1984 and life in hostels changed with the advent of TV.


Around August 1984 I moved to C HOSTEL room 327  which was a triple  seater  room and Binodanand Mishra and M M Shajan were my room mates.One year I stayed in C HOSTEL was the best. This room was in the wing facing the B hostel on one side and even Kattangal was visible from the other. Gautham Hendre  used to live in the near opposite room. Prem Wathore also was near -by. C HOSTEL used to be well whitewashed and very clean


In the afternoon of October 31 1984 Saikia came running to my room and said the then Prime Minister Smt. Indhira Gandhi was assasinated.I could not beleive the news and ran to the common room and came to know it was true from the TV news. The common room  of C HOSTEL was very spacious and I used be there in the evenings to watch the LUCY SHOW. The TV in the common room was that of KELTRON.


Life in this room used to be very good and largely productive. Since it was in the corner it was very peaceful with less noise.I spent the entire night studying for some exam in this hostel.Singing loudly in this forlorn corridor of C HOSTEL made me some kind of a singer with time.. VENUGOPAL my immediate senior used to live in a room at the end of the corridor and we would land up chatting for some time. Venugopal then went to IISc.I used to get very good and deep sleep in this room and the food in the C Hostel used to be very good.


People who lived in this room must have enjoyed the good fortune I did and  enjoyed the silence and warmth of this room and hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment