Monday, July 8, 2013

Teachers at Sathya Sai College of our times.

I studied for two years at the Sathya Sai Arts Science and Commerce College. When I went into studying my Pre-university I had a major issue ..mainly the choice of the second language. Physics; Chemistry ; Mathematics and Biology were the core subjects along with English. All along through my schooling I had taken Kannada as my second language but many advised me not to take Kannada at the pre-university level as it was tough and less scoring.. The only other alternative was to take Sanskrit and the advantage was that the exam could be written in English.


I went with an application for change of language and permission to attend the sanskrit class to the principal Mr. Narender and the letter was written by my father requesting the principal that the language be changed. I remember at the first instance my father had forgotten to sign the letter at the bottom and the Principal awkwardly threw the letter on the table asking that I get the signature of my father which I did the following day. The principal signed the letter and asked me to meet Mr. Kulkarni who was the head of  Kannada department..and to my joy he consented and I landed up that afternoon in the class of Shri Chandrashekar who used to teach Sanskrit and was very enthusiastic and selfless in the manner in which he taught Sanskrit.


Table Tennis was a very important past time in this college. You could buy a TT ball Chinese made Sheild for Rs. 2/- from the sports room which was managed by Mr. Ravishankar and we used to run to the TT room where there were three tables. Anantanarayanan and Stanley were my school mates who were  contemporaries at the Sathya Sai College and both of them were in the Commerce stream. I never knew how to play TT and I picked up the game here.

In the first year PKS used to teach Chemistry and If I have not forgotton fully his name is P K Somasunder.....PN  P Nagaraj   and Gangadhariah used to teach Physics.....H R Ravi; H K Nagaraj  and H N Mahendra Raja Urs used to teach Mathematics...Mr. Chandrashekar  and Ganesh Kamath used to teach Sanskrit...the Principal Mr. Narender and Mr. Sudarshan used to teach English  and TSS T S Subramaniam  and H R Venkatesh used to teach Biology and another person whose name I do not recollect used to teach Zoology.

Mr Krishna Murthy used to teach English in the Second Year..and Mr, Hegde  Physics in the Second year, Mr Narahari Chemistry in the second year.

Sandeep Gangolli ; Santosh, Shailendra Khare ; Sanjay Dawar; Mrityunjaya; Deepak Sachdev; Satish Kini; Sai Krishna Rao; Guru Kiran; Nandan Bal; Shweth Kumar; Srikanta Swamy are all class mates and accomplices I remember at this place. Santosh ; Sanjay Dawar and myself went to NIT"S for higher education..Santosh to NIT Allahabad.....Sanjay Dawar to NIT Bhopal ..and myself to Calicut. This is the Guru Kiran who directs music in Kannada film industry.

One of the key attractions of the Sathya Sai College of our times was a Python attached to the Zoology department held in a cage near-by and students used to find joy tormenting it and in a fit of rage the snake used to make a bolt or a menacing advance in an act of flight ending at the fence of the railings of the cage..many a times students used to enjoy such taunting . Even otherwise there used to be a water tap near the cage of the snake and any one walking towards the tap always took a more than concerned look at the snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment