Monday, February 24, 2020

I VISIT NIT CALICUT FEW MONTHS BACK

I decided to visit NIT REC CALICUT a few months back.It is much more than a decade i had been there and I decided to make a sudden trip just out of the blue getting a very rear sleeper berth in one of the sleeper coaches that is permitted to transgress the Bandipur forests in the night.All other buses in the night take the Manantavady route.

I was filled with nostalgia riding the bus from the modern Kozhikode Calicut bus station and much of the stretch looks the same and and alighting at the college bus stand and remembering my father who brought me to this place at the first instance decades ago. I went into the canteen and then decided to take a stroll through the Campus though it was fairly late in the evening.The Canteen is very much the same only that it is self service now. No Damu And Radha..I enquired about Damu who used to help us in the canteen and was told he is in the middleeast.

Much of the areas are fortified now with security personnel at every step and I had to introduce myself at the entrance and was let in.There is no liaises fare here anymore. The place now looks very much like a mini IIT. The football ground on the left has given way for buildings and there are many new buildings adjacent to the road.

When I entered the main building I could see the vision and Mission statement. They were written and framed in small letters. Before I came to this place I got myself photographed by one of the present students and the photograph can be seen here. I hope the MISSION AND VISION STATEMENT OF REC NIT IS MORE PROMINENTLY PAINTED IN MUCH BIGGER FONT ON THIS WALL so that people could appreciate it better.

I then went about thinking of having a cup of tea at our MC but to my horror and astonishment I found none of the present students have heard the name MC.Only later I had to digest the fact that the MC has been done away with in the present scheme of things and a more austere looking bulding called the Student corner or something. I had some cool drinks in the student corner thereafter spending some time with the Steward of the D hostel and visiting my room in the D hostel where I slept for nearly an year and a half. as a student.I was told Dhanya talkies in Kettangal has stopped functioning.

Then I came into the C hostel.In the C , B and A hostels an additional annexe has been built.It seemed to me a marvellous civil engineering idea.Annexe is not behind the hostel but attatched to the front of the earlier hostel.This scheme should have created larger hostel capacity.

On the way back I went to the canteen again and had some fried rice and happenned to chat with three present day girl students whom I just happened to meet.One of them from Talap in Cannanore and the other from Trissur.

Thus ended my short visit to this place where I spent many formative years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment